Monday, March 26, 2012

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I began this long-titled little book a couple days ago and am finding it quite enchanting! It is a short read- I decided to go ahead and get it done so that I could feel that I was making progress, as Pillars has not been moving as quickly as I had hoped. This small novel is set in Guernsey, one of the Channel Islands (between England and France) and London. It is written as a series of letters between the main character Juliet and various others- her agent, friends, and the members of this literary society. The society was created during World War II as a quickly-hatched way for the members to avoid arrest by their German occupiers, and it grew into an intriguing little book club. Juliet is writing an article on the philosophical benefits of reading and has chosen to include this society in it, which is how she becomes acquainted, through the writing of letters
(which I am beginning to see as quite an art), with the charming and often eccentric members of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I am looking forward to finishing this lovely little tale- an easy read with a fascinating perspective and a highly enjoyable host of characters

No comments:

Post a Comment