Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Glassblower of Murano

I finished Italy- The Glassblower of Murano, by Marina Fiorato. This was a fine book, but the writing seemed a little elementary to me. As compared to some of the others, where I knew I was in the hands of a master, this one was just mediocre. But, I did learn something about Venice and the intriguing art of blowing glass. And a little interesting connection: in The Lady and the Unicorn (Belgium), there was a guild for the weavers- making sure women didn't do the weaving, keeping all the work set to a certain standard- and in The Glassblower of Murano, there was The Ten, an equivalent organization, keeping Venice's glass secrets from leaving the city, etc. So that was an interesting little note. I'm glad I read this book, even though it wasn't my favorite: a little history, a little modern love story, a lot of the magic of Venice- a decent little read.

No comments:

Post a Comment