Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Pillars of the Earth- Update 1

So I started The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett. It is a BIG book (976 pages!!). Naturally, when I saw it, I promptly decided that I had been quite a fool to choose books for this project based merely on interest value and not at all on length or challenge level (still not the most wise choice, but oh well!). Upon starting to read it, though, I found that it is written in a very easy style, and it didn't take too long to get through a sizable chunk. My grandparents were here for the weekend, so that slowed me down a little bit, but I should be able to finish it in a reasonable amount of time.
*****SPOILER ALERT*****
The thing that I am really trying to get my head around right now is how quickly Tom (the master-builder, so far the main character) marries Ellen. His wife died during the night and by morning/midday he has asked this other woman to marry him. He seems like an honorable, honest man, though, so we'll see how he progresses during the story.
*****END SPOILER*****
So, I have only gotten through a little less than 100 pages of this, but the time period is interesting (Middle Ages), the characters have background and personality, and the plot, while it seems to have been a tad slow-moving when I think about it, has been actually rather gripping when I've been reading it.
Hopefully I will have time to read some more later tonight. When I've read a bit more, I will post another update. Until then, happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment