Friday, April 6, 2012

The Elegance of the Hedgehog- Update 1

I started The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery. This one is set in France, and I've just started it-about 50 pages through. It seems promising (and hopefully quick! I have lots of catching up to do) and I am looking forward to finishing it. The concierge, I must say, is kind of getting on my nerves... She is obsessed with the idea that she is at the very bottom of the social food chain, even though she is intelligent and reads lots of classics, etc. So she has pretty much given up on trying to convince anyone that she is as capable of intelligent discussion and such as anyone else. She finds great joy in acting like the dimwit everyone conceives her as being. So we'll see if she starts growing on me. The 12-year old, Paloma, who plans to commit suicide when she turns 13, is extraordinarily intellectual and philosophical. So far, her part in the story consists of "profound thoughts" and thoughts on movement. Very interesting, definitely something that gives you something to consider. I will let you know how this one goes- hoping to be done in a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment